Thursday, November 1, 2012

It's Morphin' Time


Halloween.

What a spook-tacular holiday. Little ghouls and boys dress up and beggar themselves about the neighborhood for candy and the occasional scare, the streets are abound with witches, goblins, princesses and superheros. What was truly frightful about this day for me was the day it was supposed to be.

Todd was struck with genius one day as we were sitting around. There were five of us. Todd, Me, Sami, Rowan and Rhys. Just the right amount for a Power Ranger's family costume. I ordered red sweats for Todd, and bought blue sweats for Rowan, black for Rhys. I was still on the prowl for pink and yellow for Sami and me. I was going to sew on the white diamonds around the chest, make an awesome gold pendant belt, and find some sweet white boots to "top" off the ensembles. I was so excited, and I think Todd was too.

How cute would that be?

I don't really remember what I said, or how long after his death it was, but I know we were on the front porch, entering the house. It may have been our first time coming home together... I turned to Todd and said something along the lines of "We don't have enough to be the Power Rangers." For some reason it seemed so important in that second. Todd told me we could do something else, and still in my mind I had to figure out how to fill the spot of our tiny Black Ranger. The dog? Could I dress up a doll? Should I invite a friend?

What the hell was wrong with me?! How could I have possibly thought that I could tackle such a huge sewing job right after the death of my son? How could I have so easily replaced him in our family costume scheme? It didn't take too long for me to snap back to reality and realize I would not be able to do it. Of course this caused a whole different point of stress... what would we be doing for Halloween?

Fortunately, my sister Paige swooped in with her amazing sewing skills and unstoppable creativity. She saved the whole day for us. She sewed up a Dora and Boots costume for the kids, on short notice, no less. Todd and I let go of the pressure we were putting ourselves under to dress up and let it be just a day for the kids. It was their first time Trick or Treating. Their costumes were a HUGE hit! Parents all over the block ooh-ed and ah-ed at how cute they were, and they even got their pictures taken!

Rhys didn't even live for six weeks. It's not like we had a million billion actual plans for him, things to do together... at least nothing concrete... except for this. This one day was supposed to be a family thing, dressing up together. It made the day hard for us. It was sad.

But man, Dora and Boots really brightened it. Happy Halloween.

How cute is that?!?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Minna, It's Emily.
    I would love it if you would follow me!
    I find blogging does help me with the grief. Writing seems to be the only way I can mother my little girl these days, and it also helps put everything into perspective for me

    ReplyDelete